Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Determine if a permit is required
- A permit is issued to a carrier to allow operation of a vehicle or load that exceeds the statutory limits.
- Permits are generally issued for non-divisible loads, with some significant exceptions.
- Permits are issued by DMV and local highway maintenance authorities (for local roads and state trunk highways within the jurisdiction's boundaries only and for certain types of permits).
A permit is typically required if vehicle dimensions exceed:
|Width||8 feet, 6 inches|
|Height||13 feet, 6 inches|
|Length - (Single vehicle and load)||45 feet|
|Length - (Combination of 2 vehicles)||70 feet|
|Length - (Truck/tractor and semi trailer)||75 feet (see Trans 276 for more information and exceptions)|
For more information and exceptions to the above dimensions:
- Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 348 (348.02 through 348.10)
- Trans 276 - Size and weight of vehicles and vehicle combinations
- Wisconsin truck operator map
- Agricultural equipment and vehicles
A permit is typically required if vehicle weights exceed:
|Any one wheel or wheels supporting one end of an axle||11,000 lbs|
|Truck tractor steering axle||13,000 lbs|
|Single axle||20,000 lbs|
|Tandem axles||34,000 lbs|
|Maximum gross vehicle weights on all axles||80,000 lbs|
Weight limitations on class “B” highways are 60% of class “A” highway weight limitations
Class “B” highways includes those county trunk highways, town highways and city and village streets or portions thereof, which have been designated as class “B” highways by the local authorities
For more information and exceptions to the above weights:
What type of permit is needed?
- Single trip permit - Valid for 14 days valid for 1 trip only
- Multiple trip permit - Valid from 3 months to 12 months with no limit on number of trips
If you have questions:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: (608) 266-7320
- FAX: (608) 264-7751
- Write to the address below:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Motor Carrier Services
PO Box 7980
Madison, WI 53707-7980
Questions about the content of this page:
Motor Carrier Services, email@example.com
Last modified: April 24, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.