Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Single trip permits

  • Valid for 14 days, valid for 1 trip only
  • Route is specified
  • Return trip allowed at no charge if requested with original permit application
  • Can request 5 days in advance through online Self Issue System or 10 days in advance through all other application sources

Single trip vehicle or load (SS) 

  • For miscellaneous non-divisible oversize/overweight loads or vehicles
  • Examples of loads include transformer, boat, air conditioner, crane under-own-power, well driller under-own-power 
  • Buildings such as houses, garages and other structures defined as "Building" are not permitted under this permit type; see permit type "Single trip building" below for more information
  • Divisible loads such as steel beams, trusses, 2 tractors loaded end-to-end can sometimes be allowed if specified loading or routing conditions can be met
Forms and more information about this permit type and how to apply.

Single trip sealed container (CS)

  • This permit is for the transportation of a sealed load
  • "Sealed load” means a load of commodities or products, being transported in a vehicle or container, which has been sealed with a tamper−evident seal affixed at the time of initial loading
  • The load must be in transport as a stage in international trade
  • Issued for weights 80,001 to 90,000 lbs.
  • Vehicle or vehicle combination must have a minimum of six axles
  • Weights must comply with weights in 348.15 (3) (c) and 348.29
  • Must be ordered through our online Self Issue System
Forms and more information about this permit type and apply online

Single trip building (SB)

  • For moving buildings such as houses, garages or other structures as defined below
  • "Building" means a dwelling or other structure (or portion of) with one or more overall transport measurements exceeding 12 feet wide, 14 feet 3 inches high, or 100 feet long, that is raised and supported from an existing foundation to be moved and placed on a permanent foundation at a new location where the building is to be delivered; "building" does not include a modular housing unit or manufactured building or home
Forms and more information about this permit type and how to apply.

Single trip mobile home/modular building section (SM) 

  • Maximum mobile home or modular building section length of 80 feet
  • Maximum overall length of 110 feet 
  • No overweight allowed
  • A permit may be issued for more than one modular section on a carrier if each section is a component of the same home as evidenced by serial numbers or other distinguishing marks and the overall dimensions of the load will not exceed the size limits specified in the permit. A permit may be issued under this subsection only if at least one portion of the load would require a permit had it been transported on a separate carrier.
  •  Escorts are typically required when a vehicle exceeds 15 feet below the roof line or exceeds 16 feet at the roofline
Forms and more information about this permit type and how to apply

If you have questions:

  • Email: oversize-permits.dmv@dot.wi.gov
  • Call: (608) 266-7320
  • FAX: (608) 264-7751
  • Write to the address below:

    Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Motor Carrier Services
    PO Box 7980
    Madison, WI 53707-7980

Questions about the content of this page:
Motor Carrier Services, oversize-permits.dmv@dot.wi.gov
Last modified: May 11, 2015

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.