Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Getting to know us
Bureau of aeronautics
- Manages statewide aeronautics coordination and liaison activities with federal, state and local governments, consultants, the construction industry, aviation businesses, other state aviation agencies and other WisDOT offices.
- Manages the planning and delivery of internal and external products and services through three sections within the bureau.
- Sets priorities and develops bureau goals in support of the bureau mission.
- Monitors and provides consultation and representation for the department in legislative, congressional, regulatory and other aviation related matters.
- Outreach services:
- Provides all administrative and program support activities critical to the bureau such as telephone, reception, mail services and communication needs.
- Assists in statewide educational seminars.
- Coordinates the bureau's work in strategic, business and annual work plans.
Aeronautical and technical services section
- Provides products and services that support airport development program standards and processes.
- Provides technical expertise and support in developing the Airport Information Management System, the bureau's web page, project management software, the bureau's computer data bases, software and hardware needs.
- Manages the regulatory programs for tall structure permits and airport site approvals.
- Conducts airport facility safety inspections.
- Publishes the Wisconsin Airport Directory and the Wisconsin Aeronautical Chart.
- Facilitates airport grant compliance.
- Provides technical expertise to the state's 600 airports and heliports to help improve operational safety and efficiency. Provides airport security consultation.
- Conducts aviation education and safety seminars for pilots, airport managers and administrators.
- Oversees the Aviation Career Education program.
- Manages the state's airport weather system network.
Airport engineering section
- Administers the planning, design and construction of approximately $100 million a year in airport improvement projects statewide. Projects include airfield pavements, electronic navigation equipment, heavy equipment such as trucks and rescue vehicles, terminal buildings, maintenance buildings and specialized electrical work.
- Coordinates all phases of projects from early planning to final inspection.
- Provides all Computer Aid Drafting Design.
- Manages the statewide Airport Sealcoat and Crack Fill Program and the Pavement Marking Program.
- Maintains the aviation weather observation systems for the bureau.
- Administers the airport projects bidding and contract award process.
- Develops and maintains airport construction specifications.
- Provides expertise to federal, state and local governments and airport engineering consultants.
- Develops and manages the Airport Pavement Management Program.
Airport program section
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of the state airport system plan with the WisDOT Bureau of Planning.
- Prepares the bureau's state budget to assure continued development and operation of a safe and efficient state air transportation system.
- Develops the department's Five-Year Airport Improvement Program which integrates federal state and local funding to meet the air transportation needs of the state.
- Administers the financial accounting for projects and operating budgets.
- Manages real estate activities necessary for airport project development.
- Develops policies and procedures that guide the bureau in making sound and consistent decisions on aviation issues.
Questions about the content of this
Scott Brummond, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: December 16, 2009
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.