Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Design and construction, Selections and awards - Highway design awards 2012
Every year, some of the best design projects are nominated for the WisDOT Excellence in Highway Design Awards.
Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- Best rural design by WisDOT
- Best rural design by a consultant
- Best urban design by a consultant
- Best structure design by WisDOT
- Best structure design by a consultant
Announced Mar. 7, 2012, at ACEC conference in Wisconsin Dells. Congratulations to this year’s winners!
Best rural design by WisDOT - WIS 83 (Waukesha County)
- Designed by SE region
- John Kanzenbach, WisDOT Project Manager
Brett Hollister, WisDOT Project Leader.
- 6-mile project included capacity and safety improvements, three high-speed roundabouts, four bridge structures, relocations, and significant environmental considerations
Best rural design by consultant - US 12 (Sauk County)
- Designed by Strand for SW region
- Joe Bunker, Consultant Project Manager
Dave Walker, Consultant structure designer
Anne Wallace, WisDOT project manager
- 6-mile 4-lane bypass leading to Wisconsin Dells included three interchanges, 10 roundabouts, 12 bridges, and a large MSE wall
Best urban design by consultant - WIS 190 (Shorewood)
- Village of Shorewood, Milwaukee County
- Designed by GRAEF for SE region
- Andre Ost, Consultant Project Engineer for
Mary Beth Pettit, Consultant Project manager
Bruce Barnes, WisDOT Project Manager
- Urban reconstruction project paid careful attention to safety for multiple user modes while including environmentally-friendly design elements, aesthetic appeal, and extensive stakeholder input
Best structure design by WisDOT - Wolf River Bridge (WIS 22)
- Shawano County
- Designed by WisDOT Bureau of Structures for NC region
- Jim Volkmann, WisDOT Project
Dave Genson and Najoua Ksontini, WisDOT Structure designers
- Project replaced an existing truss bridge with a new three-span 324-foot bridge over an environmentally sensitive river, along with aesthetic treatments, enhanced approaches, a relocated intersection, and a multi-use trail
Best structure design by consultant - Chestnut St. Bridge (Platteville)
- City of Platteville, Grant County
- Designed by IIW for SW region
- Michael Jansen, Consultant Project
Principal and Structural designer
Julie Neebel, Consultant Project Manager
Brenda Schoenfeld, WisDOT Project Manager
- Project is a two-span structure over the Rountree Branch and the Rountree Branch trail, and includes a three-legged roundabout, multi-use path, and 0.45 miles of urban roadway partially on new alignment
Questions about the content of this page:
Dan Tyler, P.E., firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: March 13, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.