Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

"H" endorsement frequently asked questions

HazMat fingerprint appointment information:
Fieldprint code: FPWIDMVHazmat
Fieldprint website: www.FieldprintWisconsin.com

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has received procedures, guidelines and effective dates from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for implementation and requirements of the U.S. Patriot Act.

Q: Do the Patriot Act requirements apply to any endorsements other than the "H"?

A: No.

Q: If I want to add an "H" endorsement to my commercial driver license (CDL), do I need to complete a background check first?

A: You must first pass the knowledge test, present your valid federal medical card and pay $49 ($34 TSA Assessment fee, $10 card issuance fee, $5 add endorsement fee) to add the endorsement. You will also need to complete Form MV3735, Drivers License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application, which starts the background check and fingerprinting process, and Form MV3001 (Application for License) or Form MV3005 (Application for CDL Renewal).

Q: Are all commercial drivers required to complete a background check?

A: No, only those commercial drivers holding or applying for an "H" endorsement are subject to the background check.

Q: When will I receive notification to renew my current “H” endorsement?

A: WisDOT will notify "H" drivers at least 45-60 days before the driver’s "H" endorsement expires.

Q: What do I need to do to complete a background check?

A: You must first visit a DMV customer service center and complete form MV3735, Hazardous Materials "H" Endorsement Application. You will also need to provide proof of citizenship or immigration, provide a valid federal medical card or examination report, show your social security card, pass a vision screening and a hazardous materials knowledge test and pay the CDL fee. Next, you will need to have your fingerprints collected. Once your fingerprints have been taken, you will need to wait for the TSA process to be completed, which may take up to 60 days. Information on scheduling a fingerprint appointment.

Q: How often will I need to complete a background check?

A: You will need to complete a background check each time your "H" endorsement expires.

Q: When will my "H" endorsement expire?

A: Your first "H" endorsement issuance could be valid for up to five years depending on when your license expires. All future "H" endorsements issued will be valid for four years.

Q: If the background check indicates I am not eligible for the "H" endorsement, will that affect my other CDL classes and endorsements?

A: No, but if you apply for or hold an "H" endorsement, you will be required to surrender the "H" endorsement or be denied issuance. The other classes and endorsements on your CDL license will still be valid.

Q: Will I be required to submit fingerprints every time my "H" endorsement expires?

A: Yes, fingerprints will be required every time you renew your "H" endorsement.

Q: If I have questions not covered here, how can I get more information?

A: The WisDOT website has extensive information about "H" endorsements and details on the Patriot Act. However, if you still have questions, you can email WisDOT or call (608) 264-7049.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call (608) 264-7049

For more information:

Federal links:

Last updated: October 1, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.