Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Renew your identification (ID) card or apply for a duplicate
To use this online application you must already have a valid Wisconsin identification (ID) card. This online application is for ID cards only; driver licenses must be renewed in person at a DMV service center. Note: Your request to renew your ID card or obtain a duplicate is NOT complete until you receive a confirmation message at the end of the transaction.
Please review everything below before using this online system.
Note: Once the online transaction is completed you cannot cancel the transaction, nor receive a refund.
You will need the following items:
- Your Wisconsin ID card number, the last four digits of your Social Security Number (or your full Social Security Number if you don't have your Wisconsin ID card number available), your date of birth and your zip code.
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express) or ACH (Automated Clearing House) payment through your checking/savings account (eCheck – automatic withdrawal from your bank account).
If eligible, you will be provided with the opportunity to select a free ID card for the purposes of voting during this transaction.
You will not be able to use this online system if:
- You are temporarily out-of-state, your mailing address is outside of Wisconsin or you have a special mailing address. ID cards applied for online will be mailed to your Wisconsin residence address and cannot be forwarded to any other address.
- Your ID card has been expired for more than one year.
- Your ID card is currently cancelled.
- You are not a U.S. citizen.
- You are under 18 years old and have not had a DMV photo taken in the last two years.
- You are under 25 years old and you previously ordered a duplicate ID card online.
- You are over the age of 25 and have ordered a duplicate ID card online within the past two years.
- Your previous ID card renewal was processed online.
- You have had a legal name change since your ID card was last issued.
- Your photo is not on file at Wisconsin DMV.
- You would like to apply for an original (first time) REAL ID-compliant card. Persons applying for a REAL ID-compliant card for the first time must visit a DMV customer service center.
Change of address
If you need to update your address, please do so PRIOR to applying for an ID card online. To change your residence address, use our online address change application.
A receipt, including your photo, will be available for you to view and print upon successful completion of this online transaction. This receipt is acceptable photo identification for voting and serves as your ID until your card arrives in the mail. Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher is required to view and print driver license receipts. For information about getting a free copy of Adobe Reader, visit the WisDOT software information page. If you do not have a printer but wish to obtain a receipt, please contact the DMV Qualification & Issuance Section.
Please allow adequate time for your ID card to arrive by mail. If you have not received your ID card within 10 business days, please contact the Qualification & Issuance Section at (608) 264-7049. We process requests within two days and then ship the ID card through the United States Postal Service using first class mail.
Note: This service is not available from 2 a.m.-3 a.m. each day due to system updates.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Last modified: December 11, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.