Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Schedule a road test appointment
There may be occasions when road tests are scheduled during non-business hours. When this occurs, our offices will not be open to the public, and processing of any driver license or vehicle registration products cannot be done. Check the DMV service centers page for a complete listing of the days and times when our offices are open to the public.
- If you are new to Wisconsin, you need to go to your nearest Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) service center to start the application process before you can make an appointment. Acceptable documentation of legal presence, name and date of birth, identity and Wisconsin residency are required.
- You must hold a valid instruction permit.
- You may only schedule an appointment up to 11 weeks in advance. Due to uncertain staffing, we cannot schedule appointments any further in advance.
- Appointments fill up quickly. The system indicates "No appointments available" when all appointments are filled. New appointments are added periodically throughout the week.
- When you schedule an appointment through the
online system, you will be prompted to enter
the following items:
- Your driver license or ID card number OR social security number
- Your date of birth
- Your zip code on file with the Department
- To receive a confirmation and reminder of your appointment, an e-mail address or cell phone number with texting is required
- You can schedule, reschedule, cancel or verify a road test appointment through this online system.
- To reschedule, access the online system at the link below to look for another appointment. Your current appointment will not be cancelled until you confirm your new appointment.
- If you cannot keep your appointment, you need to cancel at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. If you do not cancel your appointment with at least 24 hours notice or you do not show up for your appointment, a "fail" will be entered on your record and you will be charged the $15 fee. You will not be eligible to retest for at least 7 days, depending on appointment availability.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must have held your Instruction Permit for at least six months, have no violations within the past six months, and have at least 30 hours of driving practice. You will also be required to have a Driver Education Course Completion. The course completion is generally submitted electronically by the school. If it was not, the school will provide you with a paper course completion that you need to present at the DMV.
If you are experiencing difficulty in scheduling a road test appointment at your preferred location, you now have the option to sign up and be notified when an appointment becomes available. You will have an opportunity to Create Notification after you have booked your appointment and selected Finish.
- To create a notification:
- Choose a location where you would prefer to have your road test
- Select a start and end date for the period in which you want to be notified of new appointments
- Select your preferred day(s) of week for an appointment
- If and when an appointment becomes available, you will receive a notification via the method you selected when making your appointment.
- If you are interested in the new appointment time, you will
be required to reschedule your appointment. Appointments are
scheduled first come first served, so that appointment may not
be available when you attempt to reschedule. To see if that
appointment is still available:
- Access the online appointment system
- Select Reschedule
- Select the location indicated on the notification
- Select the date indicated on the notification
- If there are any times listed for that date, select the preferred time
- You must have your newly selected appointment confirmed
- If there are no times available, Exit the system. You will not lose your current appointment.
- You can change or cancel Notifications at any time by accessing the online appointment system.
Questions about the content of this page:
Bureau of Field Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: March 28, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.