Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

72-hour trip permit

Issued to out-of-state motor carriers traveling intrastate or interstate who do not have proper registration or fuel tax credentials in Wisconsin as set forth in Sec. 341.41(7), and 341.45 Stats. This permit is also issued for carriers who do not have proper registration or fuel tax credentials in the jurisdictions that belong to the international trip permit compact.

The trip permit for Wisconsin is valid for 72 hours from the time and date on the permit. There may be different dates and times for each jurisdiction listed on the permit. Valid for one round trip only.

Most applicants buy both registration and fuel, but the temporary registration and the in-lieu-of fuel tax portions may be purchased separately. The fee for each part is $15, for a total of $30 if both are purchased.

Payment may be made with a valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or ACH (Automated Clearing House) payment from your checking or savings account. Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payment.

72 hour trip permit (click to enlarge)
72 hour trip permit (click to enlarge)

Questions about the content of this page:
Motor Carrier Services, irp-ifta@dot.wi.gov
Last modified: November 20, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.