Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Ducks Unlimited license plate
Plates benefit wetlands
Ducks Unlimited works to conserve wetlands in North America. Since its founding in 1937, the organization has helped conserve more than 9.4 million acres of prime wetland and wildlife habitat.
The purchase of Ducks Unlimited license plates will support habitat enhancement projects that benefit waterfowl and promote the health of hundreds of other wildlife species, including many of the world's endangered species. It also entitles you to a one-year membership in the organization (accepting membership reduces the amount of your donation that is tax-deductible). For more information about Ducks Unlimited, Inc. call 1-800-453-8257 (1-800-45DUCKS) or visit Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
Vehicles that qualify
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- motor trucks
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- The first time you request a Ducks Unlimited license plate, you
- A $15 original issuance fee, or an annual $15 personalized plate fee.
- A $25 tax-deductible donation, which supports conservation programs funded by Ducks Unlimited. The $25 donation may be deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
- Your regular registration fee, if your current plates expire within three months
- Thereafter, you will pay the $25 donation and the regular registration fee for standard Ducks Unlimited plates.
- For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
Local DMV customer service centers do not have Ducks Unlimited license plates for immediate issue, but can process applications and the plates will be mailed. To apply by mail, send the following items:
- If the vehicle you wish to register with Ducks Unlimited license plates is already
titled/registered in your name, send:
- A copy of your Certificate of Registration OR the complete vehicle description and the Ducks Unlimited License Plates application section of form MV2916.
- $15 issuance or personalized plate fee, $25 Ducks Unlimited donation, plus the annual registration fee, if the current plates expire within the next three months.
- If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.
- Mail with payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your Ducks Unlimited license plates is optional.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or may conflict with the issuance of any other license plates.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
Temporary plates required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Ducks Unlimited plate order is processed. An agent may charge a $3 plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service fee.
Changing from personalized to regular plates
If you wish to re-register your vehicle with regular license plates at renewal time or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for standard plates along with the registration. Subtract $40 from the fee shown on the renewal notice. If you wish to re-register other than at renewal time, submit the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration.
Changing from personalized to regular Ducks plates
If you wish to re-register with regular Ducks plates at renewal time or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular Ducks plates and fee shown on the notice plus a $25 donation and $15 issuance fee. If you wish to re-register other than at renewal time, submit the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration and $15 issuance fee.
Release of information
WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue Ducks Unlimited license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, complete the "release of nonexempt information" portion on form MV2916.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 14, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.