Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Harley-Davidson/Share the road license plates

Harley-Davidson/Share the road license plate

When you purchase special Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates, your fees include an annual $25 donation that provides funds for motorcycle, moped and motor bicycle safety programs and activities administered by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).

The Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plate was designed in collaboration with the Harley-Davidson Motor Company Styling Team. These special license plates display the words "Share the Road" to emphasize the importance of driver awareness to ensure safety among motorcycles and other motorized vehicles. Your annual donation will fund:

  • Grants for providing motorcycle safety training courses.
  • Evaluation of basic rider education courses.
  • Public workshops, rallies and programs focused on motorcycle safety and training.

Visit motorcycle safety for safety program information. Harley-Davidson receives no financial benefit from the sale of these plates.

Please note that these plates are not available for motorcycles; they are only available for autos, motor homes and light trucks (see below).

Things you should know:

  • Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
  • A $25 annual donation supports motorcycle, moped and motor bicycle safety programs and activities administered by WisDOT. The donation may be tax-deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
  • A $15 fee is required when non-personalized Harley-Davidson/Share the Road plates are issued or reissued.
  • A $15 fee is required EACH year in addition to the regular annual registration fee and donation for personalized plates.
  • Per state law, only the following vehicles qualify for Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates:
    • Automobiles
    • Motor homes (annual registration only)
    • Motor trucks
      • 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
      • 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply:

Local DMV customer service centers do not have Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates for immediate issue, but can process applications and the plates will be mailed. To apply by mail, send the following items:

  1. If the vehicle you wish to register with Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates is already titled in your name, send:
    • A copy of your Certificate of Registration OR complete the vehicle description on application form MV4063.
    • A $15 issuance or personalized plate fee.
    • A $25 donation for safety programs administered by WisDOT. The donation may be tax deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
    • Annual registration fee if the current plates expire within the next three months.
  2. If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
    • A completed title application MV1 or MV11 through the dealer and fees, including the annual registration fee.
    • The Certificate of Title assigned to you.
    • A $15 issuance or personalized plate fee.
    • A $25 Harley-Davidson/Share the Road donation. The donation may be tax deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
  3. Make the check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
  4. Mail with payment to:

    Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Special Plates Unit
    P.O. Box 7911
    Madison WI 53707-7911

Personalized license plates

  • Personalizing your Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates is optional.
  • A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
  • Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
  • No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates have been ordered or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
  • WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
  • If you want to exchange your current personalized plates for Harley-Davidson/Share the Road plates with the same message (up to six characters), the $15 personalized plate fee and $25 donation is required. Because personalized plates cannot be duplicated, your message may not be available. Please see the Special Plates Unit contact information below to check availability of choices.
  • After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.

Temporary plate required

To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Harley-Davidson/Share the Road plate order is processed. An agent may charge a plate fee and/or service fee.

Release of information

WisDOT uses the information on form MV4063 to issue Harley-Davidson/Share the Road license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete the "release of nonexempt information" portion on form MV4063.

Previous Back to Special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: July 12, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.