Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Marquette University license plates
Marquette University license plates are available to all Wisconsin residents, and you do not have to be a graduate of Marquette to apply for this special plate. Motorists can choose between personalized or non-personalized plates. The special plate features the MU monogram on the left side of the plate and the words "Marquette University" at the bottom.
Things you should know:
- Marquette University license plates can feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
- A $15 issuance fee is required when non-personalized Marquette University plates are issued or reissued.
- If you would like personalized plates, a $15 fee is required each year.
- The following vehicles qualify for Marquette University license plates:
- Motor homes (annual registration only)
- Motor trucks
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor homes
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm trucks
- For more information, visit Personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply
Send the following items:
- If the vehicle you wish to register with Marquette University license plates is already titled in your name, send:
- A copy of your Certificate of Registration OR the complete vehicle description on application form MV2591.
- $15 issuance or personalized plate fee
- Annual registration fee if the current plates expire within the next three months
- If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
- A completed title application form MV1 or MV11 (if purchased through a Wisconsin dealer) and all required fees
- $15 issuance or personalized plate fee
- Make the check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Mail all required items to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your Marquette University license plates is optional.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plate has been ordered or if the application is incorrectly or unclearly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue OR may recall after issuance, a request that is misleading or may be offensive to good taste or decency.
- Allow approximately 4-6 weeks for the plates to be manufactured after you have received your Certificate of Registration.
Change from personalized Marquette University to non-personalized Marquette University plates
If you wish to re-register your vehicle with non-personalized Marquette University license plates at renewal time, or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for non-personalized Marquette University plates. Include the regular annual registration fee and the $15 issuance fee (the fee shown on the renewal notice). If you wish to re-register at any other time, send the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration and the $15 issuance fee.
Change from personalized Marquette University plates to regular plates
If you wish to re-register your vehicle with regular license plates at renewal time, or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular plates. Include the regular registration fee (subtract $15 from the fee shown on the renewal notice). If you wish to re-register any other time, send the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration.
Temporary plates required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV for a temporary plate while your Marquette University plate order is processed. An agent may charge a plate fee and/or service fee.
Release of information
WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue Marquette University license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete the "release of nonexempt information" portion on page three of form MV2591.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: June 7, 2010
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.