Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Transfer license plates - (vehicle registration refund)

When you sell, junk or remove a vehicle from operation, you may transfer most valid license plates to another vehicle of the same type (example: auto to auto, or pickup truck to same weight pickup truck). The other vehicle must also be registered to you, your spouse or domestic partner. Plates for trucks registered at 10,000 lbs. or more, farms trucks registered at 16,000 lbs. or more, mopeds, trailers and recreational vehicle trailers stay with the vehicle when sold.

To transfer license plates:

  • Complete Section B of the Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application form MV1.
  • Indicate the license plate number you wish to transfer.
  • Send the application form to the address shown on the form. You do not need to send a registration fee if the plates are still valid, unless they are due to expire shortly.

If you renew your license plates and later dispose of the vehicle by selling or junking it, or move out of Wisconsin after the new registration period begins, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is unable to refund the unused portion of the registration fee.

A refund of fees paid for annual, quarterly or consecutive monthly registration is allowed if requested before the beginning of the new registration period. For biennial registration (motorcycles and 12,000 lb. farm plates), the second year of registration may be refunded before the beginning of the second year.

To request a refund, send the original certificate of registration, the year sticker and a statement explaining the reason for a refund to:

Research & Information
P.O. Box 8070
Madison, WI  53708-8070

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466

Last modified: April 12, 2010

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.