Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Online license plate renewal
Online services will be unavailable due to maintenance Sunday, November 23, from midnight to 6 a.m. We apologize for the inconvenience.
You may use the online license plate renewal service if:
- The license plate renewal notice you received has a Renewal Reference Number (RRN) on it. The RRN is located to the right of the return mailing address on the notice.* If you do not have your
license plate renewal notice, you may:
- find the RRN by using the license plate lookup, or
- enter the Product Number on your current certificate of registration for the RRN
- Your correct and current address is on file with the department. Need to change your address? Please update your address before you renew online.
- If you recently transferred the license plates to a vehicle different from the one described on your renewal notice, the RRN may have changed. Check the license plate lookup for the current RRN.
- You have a valid Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card or a checking/saving account for payment by ACH (Automated Clearing House).
- You are subscribed to electronic
and have received your renewal notice via email. For more
information on how to receive your license plate renewal notices
via email, visit eNotify.
*If the RRN is not on the renewal notice or license plate lookup result, your plate does not qualify for online renewal.
Your credit or debit card will be charged a convenience fee for this service. There is no convenience fee charged for ACH payment. A $10 late fee may also be added if you renew after the license plate/registration expiration date. The expiration date is printed in the upper left corner of your renewal notice.
After you renew online, you should print the confirmation page or email confirmation as temporary proof of current license plate/registration and keep it in your vehicle until you receive the new Certificate of Vehicle Registration and license plate sticker. We will mail a new Certificate of Vehicle Registration and license plate sticker within 7-10 business days. You may legally operate your vehicle on Wisconsin public roads once you complete the online renewal.
Vehicles that qualify for online renewal:
- Buses (except school buses) registered at 54,000 lbs. gross weight or less
- Farm trucks registered at 54,000 lbs. gross weight or less
- Human service vehicles
- Low-speed vehicles
- Motor homes registered at any gross weight
- Motorcycles & mopeds
- Recreational vehicle trailers
- Special plates for autos, light trucks and motor homes (e.g., Packers, Endangered Resources, Military, etc.)
- Tractors registered at 54,000 lbs. gross weight or less
- Trailers registered at any gross weight
- Trucks registered at 54,000 lbs. gross weight or less
- Registration Renewal
You will be forwarded to U.S. Bank for the collection of your credit/debit card or checking/saving account data so that your payment can be processed. This data is classified as private and U.S. Bank will only use this data for the purpose of renewing your license plates. The online renewal is NOT complete until you receive a confirmation number at the end of the transaction.
The online renewal transaction requires the use of a Web browser with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) capability.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466
Last modified: October 30, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.