Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Harbor Assistance Program
In 1979, Wisconsinís Legislature created the Harbor Assistance Program (HAP) to assist harbor communities along the Great Lakes and Mississippi River in maintaining and improving waterborne commerce. Port projects typically include dock reconstruction, mooring structure replacement, dredging, and the construction of facilities to hold dredged material. When funding is available, grant applications are accepted on a semi-annual basis on August 1 and February 1.
There are 29 ports in the state that are potentially eligible for funding through the HAP.
To be eligible for funding:
- The project must benefit facilities that are used for cargo transfer, ship building, commercial fishing or regular ferry service;
- The applicant must be a local unit of government or a private owner of a harbor facility;
- The project must pass a rigorous benefit-cost analysis; and
- The project must have been identified in a current Three-Year Harbor Development Plan.
Project selection criteria are spelled out in Section 85.095, Wis. Stats. and Wis. Admin. Code TRANS 28 and include the following: economic impact of the project; type and urgency of the project; and priority of the project.
The following documents are available for HAP candidates:
- Program guidelines
- Application form
- Environmental screening sheets
- Three year harbor development statement of intentions
- Draft resolution document
For additional information, please contact:
Railroads and Harbors Section
Questions about the content of this page:
Sheri Walz, email@example.com
Last modified: March 25, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.