Governor Walker approves Monroe Avenue improvements in Green Bay
May 19, 2014
Work starting Tuesday, May 27
As part of his efforts to create jobs and make sure Wisconsin is open for business, Governor Scott Walker recently approved $5.2 million to reconstruct one mile of Monroe Avenue (WIS 29/54/57) in Green Bay from Cass Street to Main Street. Construction is scheduled to begin Tuesday, May 27 (weather-dependent) and be completed in late October.
Vinton Construction, Manitowoc WI is the prime contractor.
Work for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region project is a full reconstruction of the roadway which includes replacing concrete pavement, asphaltic pavement, concrete curb and gutter, concrete sidewalks, storm sewer, traffic signals, street lighting, pavement marking and street signing.
During construction, Monroe Avenue will be reduced to two single bi-directional lanes from Cass Street to Chicago Street and Main Street to the East River and completely closed to through traffic from Chicago Street to Main Street.
Moravian and Howe Streets near the project are currently one-way streets. These will be converted to two-way streets during construction to accommodate local access.
Both vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be able to cross Monroe Avenue at Chicago Street, Walnut Street and Main Street.
Pedestrian access will be provided along one side of Monroe Avenue and be able to cross Monroe Avenue at Pine Street and Stuart Street. Green Bay Metro bus stops are also being relocated to locations outside of the construction area.
WisDOT has established several detour routes for this project:
- WIS 57 northbound – WIS 32/57 to WIS 32 to County HH/Vanderperren Way to WIS 172 to I43 to WIS 54/57.
- WIS 57 southbound – WIS 54/57 to I-43 to WIS 172 to WIS 57.
- WIS 54 eastbound – WIS 54 to US 41 to WIS 172 to I-43 to WIS 54/57.
- WIS 54 westbound – WIS 54/57 to I-43 to WIS 172 to US 41 to WIS 54.
- WIS 29 eastbound – WIS 29 to US 41 to WIS 172 to I-43 to US 141/County MM to WIS 29.
- WIS 29 westbound – WIS 29 to US 141/County MM to I-43 to WIS 172 to US 41 to WIS 29.
Additionally, the city of Green Bay will be providing local detour signing as follows:
- Monroe Avenue southbound – Monroe Avenue to Main Street (east) to Webster Avenue (south).
- Monroe Avenue northbound – Monroe Avenue to Mason Street (east) to Webster Avenue (north).
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians are advised to use caution and remain alert when driving, riding or walking through this or any work zone.
For more information, contact:
Kim Rudat, regional communications manager
(920) 492-5743, email@example.com