Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
US 12/18 Freeway Conversion Study
|View SW, US 12/18 Freeway Conversion Study - Dane County in a larger map.|
Note - Provide your comments/feedback on this study.
US 12/18, I-39/90 (Madison) to County N (Cottage Grove), in Dane County.
- Extends approximately 3.5 miles.
- Identify the preferred alternative for converting US 12/18
from a 4-lane expressway to a 4-lane freeway.
- An expressway is a high-speed divided highway with partial access control. At-grade intersections, median crossovers, and some driveways are allowed.
- A freeway is also a high-speed divided highway, but direct access is allowed only at interchanges. Overpasses and frontage roads are used to provide connections for local traffic and to direct vehicles to the interchanges.
- Possible alternatives include:
- Addition of interchanges
- Grade-separated overpasses
- Frontage roads to connect local roadways
- Alternatives will be evaluated to determine the level of safety improvement, costs, right of way needs, land use, and environmental and local impacts.
- An Environmental Assessment (EA) to be completed as part of this study.
- Evaluate the impacts of converting US 12/18 to a freeway and to identify and preserve the recommended alternative.
Study with no construction activity at this time.
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 31, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.