Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 16 - Fast facts
Onalaska-West Salem, La Crosse County
|View SW, WIS 16 Project in a larger map.|
WIS 16, Landfill Rd. (Onalaska) to La Crosse River Bridge (West Salem), in La Crosse County.
WisDOT is in the final process of completing plans to improve this three mile section of WIS 16. This project will:
- Completely reconstruct the highway; new concrete pavement, improved intersections, new pavement marking and signing.
- The configuration of the highway will change from undivided
two lanes to a divided four lane facility.
- Typical section of the new highway.
- All side road intersection will have left and right turn lanes to remove all turning from the driving lanes.
- A multi-use path will be constructed on the south side of the highway.
- Extensive excavation and grading will occur along the corridor to widen the highway, most notably at Nathan Hill.
- Project overview
The project is scheduled for construction in 2016 based on existing funding conditions.
- The project will be let for construction bids in February 2016.
- Construction timeframe is likely April to November 2016.
- Except for a three month closure of WIS 16 at Nathan Hill, the
project will be constructed under traffic in stages.
- During those three months, WIS 16 will be closed from Maple Lane to Moos Road to complete the extensive excavation and grading at Nathan Hill.
- Cross section - rock cut at Nathan Hill and the necessity for the road closure.
- The detour during the closure will be County M to County C to I-90.
Todd Waldo, WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Southwest Region, La Crosse Office
3550 Mormon Coulee Rd.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 785-9022 or (888) 368-5463 (toll free)
Fax: (608) 785-9969
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: March 19, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.