Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
US 61 - Fast facts
|View SW, US 61 Project in a larger map.|
US 61, Cherry St. to City Limits St., in Lancaster, Grant County.
WisDOT is in the process of developing final plans to improve US 61, beginning at Cherry St. and continuing north to City Limits St. in the city of Lancaster.
- The project length is 0.90 miles.
- The concrete and asphalt pavement, curb and gutter, and the existing sidewalk will be replaced.
- The existing sidewalk will also be widened to ensure compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards.
- The existing light poles from the south end of the project to
County A will be replaced.
- Different traffic flow configurations for the court house block
are being evaluated.
- Traffic Signal/Roundabout Analysis for the US 61/WIS 35 and the
US 61/County A intersections will be conducted to determine the
appropriate control for each intersection.
- The horizontal and vertical alignments will be evaluated to
determine if they meet current design standards with improvements
being made as necessary.
- Storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water main replacement
throughout the project will be made as necessary.
- Parking on both sides of US 61 north of the County A
intersection will be eliminated.
- Parking alternatives will also be developed from the south end
of the project to County A and around the courthouse square.
- Bicycle accommodations will be evaluated for the three blocks
from Cherry St. to County A.
Promote your business during construction
Current (this year)
- Dec. 2014 - Completed 60 percent plan
Future (next year and beyond)
- Spring 2015 - Design Study Report
- Feb. 2016 - Completed 90 percent plan
- May 2016 - Completed construction plan
- Spring 2017 - Construction
Past (prior to today)
- April 10, 2014 - Public Involvement Meeting #1
- March 27, 2014 - Local officials meeting #1
- US 61 traffic will be detoured during construction.
- Potential detour routes may include WIS 129 for US 61 traffic and one of the local side streets for WIS 35 traffic.
- Access to businesses and residences along the project route will be maintained except for limited periods of time during underground utility relocations, sidewalk replacements and driveway improvements.
Design work with construction anticipated Spring 2017.
Craig Fisher, P.E., Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Southwest Region, La Crosse Office
3550 Mormon Coulee Rd.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 785-9022 or (888) 368-5463 (toll free)
Fax: (608) 785-9969
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: June 23, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.