Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Components - Crash investigation sites
Crash investigation sites are designated safe zones for distressed motorists to relocate to if they are involved in an incident on the freeway.
The sites are intended for use by motorists to exchange insurance information or make emergency repairs to vehicles following a minor collision or breakdown, provided that the vehicle is able to be driven. They are also used as relocation sites by freeway service patrols.
The shoulder of the freeway is not a safe place for motorists to stop. These sites enhance safety by moving pedestrians and stalled vehicles away from high-speed, "live" traffic lanes. They also remove distractions and potential obstacles for other motorists, thereby minimizing secondary incidents.
Most crash investigation sites are located near freeway exits, but are not visible from the freeway. Future plans include sites along freeway off-ramps for easier accessibility.
Blue information signs located along freeway ramps and arterial streets guide motorists to the sites. Common locations are shopping centers, municipal sites, and park and ride lots. The sites are well lit and often include access to a pay phone.
Currently, crash investigation sites are located in the greater Milwaukee area:
- State Patrol truck weigh station near County G
- Racine County Sheriff’s substation at WIS 20
- Wisconsin Tourism Information Center on WIS 165
US 45 corridor
- Good Hope Road park and ride lot
- Stolper Drive located in the northwest quadrant of the US 45 interchange at Pilgrim Road
- Lannon Road (County Y)
- US 45 southbound exit ramp to Hampton Avenue
- US 45 southbound exit ramp to Appleton Avenue
- I-894 southbound exit ramp to Lincoln Avenue
- 76th Street/State Fair park and ride lot
- Watertown Plank Road park and ride lot overflow lot in the northwest quadrant of the interchange
- I-894 northbound exit ramp to Greenfield Avenue
- US 45 northbound exit ramp at Appleton Avenue
- US 45 northbound exit ramp at Hampton Avenue
Questions about the content of this page:
Traffic Operations Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: August 1, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.