Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Travel Easy - Safety first... some tips for easy travel
For easier and safer travel, nothing beats planning in advance. And when you enter a work zone, it's important to obey the sign - merge, slow down and be careful. These are bottom-line necessities for safe and easy travel on any road.
These strategies will help you get through work zones with minimum stress.
- Know where the work zones are located and allow extra times to get through them.
- Avoid peak travel hours - between noon and 8 p.m. Fridays and Sundays. Expect delays.
- Watch for special instructions and advisories on electronic message boards as you approach major work zones.
- Slow down and merge cautiously and early.
- Pay attention. Be prepared for surprise slow-downs and speed-ups.
- Leave braking room between you and the car in front of you - approximately one car length for every 10 mph.
- Be calm. Work zones aren't meant to personally inconvenience you. Everyone's safety is dependent on your cooperation.
Remember, Wisconsin enforces these important laws:
- Buckle up for safety.
- If you are arrested for drunk driving, you will lose your license on the spot.
- Fines double in work zones.
- If you see law enforcement, towing, or road maintenance vehicles on the side of the road with their emergency lights on, change lanes or slow down.
- Stay back at least 200 feet when following maintenance vehicles.
Questions about the content of this page:
Office of Public Affairs, email@example.com
Last modified: March 27, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.